Monday, November 2, 2015

We are not Alone in the Work

Cute kids that we gave candy to on Halloween

Camille and Liezel doing their family history

The Bufete Family 

Sunset at our apartment last night 

The one next to me is Weng

Dear Family,

I love being a missionary! This week was soo good for Sister Veras and I! We worked a lot with our recent converts. We did some family history, visiting teaching and lots of reteaching. The recent converts in our area are doing great and we are just having so much fun working with them.
Lately, Sister Veras and I have been praying and fasting to find new, prepared investigators. The longer I have been a missionary, the more I have come to realize that every investigator that progresses, and especially every investigator that progresses to baptism is a gift from the Lord. As missionaries, we teach so many people every day, and we talk to even more. We can work and work and teach and teach, but unless we are teaching those who have been prepared by the Lord, nothing really happens. 
Well this week, the Lord led us to those who are prepared! We had a family home evening planned at the Santos home with 3 of our investigators. When we arrived, Sister Santos had invited her neighbor, Weng, to join too. We taught and testified about the Book of Mormon and mostly focused on our 3 investigators. But when it was Weng's turn to share or ask questions, she bore her testimony that she knew the Book of Mormon was true! She told us that she had been taught by the Elders years back, but had never been baptized. She agreed to have us back to teach her again, and she came to church yesterday! We cannot wait to see where the coming weeks take her!
Another person that the Lord prepared for us this week is Tatay Virgillo. He is the father of 6 and is the only member of his family that is not a member of the church. The missionaries have tried again and again to teach him, but it has never really been his time. He has always left when they tried to teach, and has yet to attend church with his family. However, this week things changed! His 2 daughters had come back home from the province, and we visited them a few times. We taught about eternal families, and committed them all to come to church. You should have seen Sister Veras and my reaction when all 7 of them walked into church together!! We are SO happy for the Bufete family, and cannot wait for them to continue to experience the happiness that comes from the gospel.
I know with all my heart, and this is the Lord's work. He prepares people, and He touches their hearts to help them accept the gospel. Even though I have worked  hard over the past 16 months, I really have just been the instrument. I feel that I have done so little, and the Lord really has done it all. 
I feel like Ammon in the Book of Mormon in Alma 26 when he said, "11. I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

 12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

I don't have too many more days left in the Philippines, but I am so thankful for every person that I have had the opportunity to teach and love. It really has all been the Lord. 
I love what President Eyring said in the Priesthood session of conference, "When you do your part, the Lord adds His power to your efforts. He has called you and me into His service knowing our capacities and the help we will need. He will bless our efforts beyond our fondest expectations as we give our all in His service."

I love you! I hope you all have a great week!!

XOXOXO

Sister Lockwood

ps. Guess what! I got your package! Yay! And your letter, and also a letter from Kathryn, and Grandpa (: Thank you!! You are the best!!  Ahh.. I love you and I am getting so excited to come home!! Luckily we have the best area ever and things are really great, which is keeping me focused.  

No comments:

Post a Comment